League One: Weekly Round Up 02/10

Story by Ryan Howden

Tranmere Rovers striker Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro

Scunthorpe 1-3 Tranmere

Tranmere maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a good win at Scunthorpe. The hosts opened the scoring when Karl Hawley headed in from a good Jimmy Ryan cross, Tranmere levelled midway through the half with a header before Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro put the Rovers ahead and then took advantage of a defensive error to finish the game.

Crawley 3-1 Bournemouth

Struggling Bournemouth sunk to another defeat against Crawley. Hope Akpan opened the scoring for the hosts before Joe Walshe’s header doubled it. Lee Barnard scored for the Cherries but Nicky Adam’s finished the game on 62 minutes.

Doncaster 1-3 Preston

Jack King opened the scoring for Preston after finding himself unmarked in the box before David Cotterill levelled for the Rovers. Scott Laird headed in to put Preston in front and Stuart Beavon finished the game firing home from 20 yards.

Beavon: On target for PNE

Hartlepool 1-2 Sheffield United

Paul Gallagher scored late on to give Sheffield United the three points at Hartlepool. Dave Kitson opened the scoring with a good header from a Tony McMahon cross, Steve Howard did level for the hosts but Gallagher’s late goal was enough to seal the win for the Blades.

Yeovil 1-2 Portsmouth

Yeovil sunk to their sixth loss in a row as Portsmouth visited Huish Park. Izale McLeod fired home after 13 minutes to give Pompy the lead. Reuban Reid then scored from the spot for the hosts before Gabor Gyepes 79th minute goal gave the visitors the three points.


Gyepes: Bagged the winning goal

Lee Cook and Dean Cox scored in the first half to give Leyton Orient victory at Walsall, Will Grigg scored a penalty in the second half but it was not enough. Two second hald goals for Oldham were enough to give them a good victory at Crewe, James Tarkowski fired in a powerful header at the far-post before Matt Derbyshire added a second from close range. Coventry had to settle for a draw as they hosted MK Dons, Richard Wood had headed the home side ahead before Stephen Gleeson’s deflected shot beat City keeper Joe Murphy.

Shroot: Netted in injury time

A late goal from Robin Shroot saw Stevenage come from behind to claim victory at Notts County. Three penalty’s were awarded in the second-half with County’s Jeff Hughs hitting the post in the first before Jamal Campbell-Ryce netted the second. Lucas Atkins then scored from the spot for Shrewsbury after Alan Sheehan’s handball. A second half goal from Michael Rose saw Colchester earn victory over the defenders former club Swindon. Brentford and Shrewsbury played out an entertaining 0-0 draw.

The game between Bury and Carlisle was called off due to a water logged pitch.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s