League Two: Weekly Round Up 16/09

Gillingham continued their formidable start to the League Two campaign, as Oxford plummet like a stone, Barnet did what they do every week, while the Devon clubs had a weekend to forget.


Wimbledon’s woeful run continued with an agonising but deserved home defeat to Rochdale. Their cause was all but lost on 24 minutes, when top scorer Jack Midsom lost his head and was sent off for a push. Dale had already struck through veteran Dele Adebola on 10 minutes, and the game was sealed before half-time through Bobby Grant. The Wombles scored a consolation with nine minutes to go through Luke Moore, but this was their only shot on goal in the game, and the South Londoners ended with their proverbial tails between their legs.


Morecambe’s erratic season continued. After their pasting last week, they ground out a creditable goalless draw at Aldershot, though Dean Holdsworth’s men have now gone five games without a win. Although the away side shaded possession, the Shots lived up to their name with far more shots on goal, and will rue their profligacy.


After the Bantams’ stuttering opening to the season, a home game against Barnet was just what the doctor ordered. The Bees were as hopeless as ever, and were put to the sword by goals from James Hanson, Alan Connell and Andrew Davies. This result lifts Bradford up to seventh, a position they will hope to anchor and build on in the coming months, while Barnet still have just one point at the foot of the division.


The not-so-might U’s have come unstuck in a big way after leading the early table, losing their last three league matches, the latest this heavy reverse at Burton. Calvin Zola and Jacques Maghoma dictated this game from start to finish; scoring a brace each, with each assisting the other’s two goals. Oxford, without the suspended James Constable and injured Jake Forster-Caskey, were a disaster, with manager Chris Wilder calling it ‘the most disappointing afternoon’ of his four-and-a-half year tenure. Albion nudged ahead of Oxford on level points but superior goal difference in the wake of this result.


Cheltenham were caught cold by a second half goal blitz from the crafty Shrimpers, who stole the three points away from Whaddon Road. Jermaine McGlashan brilliantly converted a Sam Deering cross to give the home side the perfect start after just fifteen minutes, but those smiles as half-time approached turned to open-mouthed disbelief when Sean Clohessy rattled in from a tight angle, following Britt Assombalonga’s effort coming back off the post. The second half saw the Essex side plunder two goals in seven minutes. After seeing an assist come from his shot hitting the woodwork in the first half, Assombalonga cashed in himself, following in Ryan Cresswell’s own goalframe strike. A dazed and confused Town were then finished off through a Mark Philips header.


Chesterfield comfortably polished off a Wycombe side down to ten men after just ten minutes, when Leon Johnson was red-carded for a professional foul on Marc Richards. Chris Atkinson opened the scoring just four minutes later, on his debut, and this was added to within six minutes by Jack Lester. Although Neal Trotman miskicking a corner into his own net gave the visitor’s hope, the Spireites finally ensured a first victory of the season through a Sam Hird header with five minutes to go.


The Daggers were gutted to be denied a first win of the season, when Accrington defender Peter Murphy rode the cavalry charge to equalise on 85 minutes. All had been going swimmingly for the home side on the hour, when Luke Howell converted from close range, after the Daggers’ had seemingly successfully soaked up Stanley pressure. The result leaves Stanley in fifth, while Dagenham move onto three points and continue to look nervously over their shoulders.


The two high-fliers ended all square, but it took a late goal from John O’Flynn, placing the ball into the bottom corner from close range, after Matt Oakley had done the donkey work. Michael Coulson had put the Minstermen in front seven minutes into the second period. As you might expect from the home team, Exeter had the better of chances and possession, but York might have stolen it at the death, if Artur Krysiak hadn’t pulled off a superb save from a Daniel Parslow header.


Fleetwood nabbed the kind of narrow, last-ditch victory that will stand them in good stead come the season’s conclusion. The Cobblers were reduced to ten men as early as the 29th minute, but the Cod Army had an incredible three goals disallowed, before Andy Mangan arrived in the nick of time to nod home at the back post, stealing a victory in the dying embers of the game.


A fifth minute Danny Kedwell penalty set the tone for an emphatic Gillingham victory, as they fortified their position at the table’s summit. The Gills’ striker added a second goal on fifteen minutes, and Charlie Lee headed in a third right on the half-time whistle. Shell-shocked Rovers applied themselves better in the second half, but could not prevent the rout being completed by a Chris Whelpdale header, with eight minutes left. The Gills sit three points clear, while the Pirates lay down with Davey Jones’ locker, along with hapless Barnet.


The Pilgrims were sunk by an inspired second-half comeback from Micky Adams’ Vale, who continue to defy the naysayers. A 30-yarder from Argyle left-back Robbie Williams; an amusingly named scorer considering the most famous fan of their opposition, opened the scoring, and left Plymouth fans dreaming at the break. It wasn’t to be however, and Vale came out swinging, Jennison Myrie-Williams equalising from the penalty spot on 66 minutes, before two late strikes from forwards Ashley Vincent and Ben Williamson sealed the game late on. Veteran Pilgrims’ skipper also saw a late header cleared off the line, as the Valiants valiantly held on for their rewards.


Despite missing their banned manager Steve Evans, the Millers saw off the Gulls to keep themselves in the fledgling play-off zone. Big striker Kayode Odejayi’s solo run culminated in him hitting the upright, but the deadlock was soon broken through Alex Revell, who seized on a Keith Nicholson error to turn the ball into an empty net on 34 minutes. Billy Bodin had a golden opportunity to equalise late on, but struck his effort high, wide and handsome.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s